This post is also available in: Español
The Pumpkin Spice Roll Holiday family recipe is a collaboration with Daisy Sour Cream. However, all opinions are mine only.
Pumpkin Spice Roll for the Holidays!
I recently brought to life a childhood favorite: My Mom’s original recipe for “Niño Envuelto”. When I was a teen, I used to bake this cake with my Mom who loved to serve it only for special occasions and Christmas dinner.
Ingredients for the Pumpkin Spice Roll Holiday Recipe
This cake roll is a family recipe that has been passed on from generation to generation. In my case, I not only inherited the secrets for making this dessert but also my Mom’s recipe book and my grandmother’s standup mixer.
This recipe book is where my Mother (in her handwriting) provides details for all those family recipes that we used to enjoy together. This notebook and the standup mixer are some of the few precious things I brought from Mexico and are part of my treasures.
When I am in need of recipe ideas, I love to browse my Mom’s recipe book to get inspiration. I feel her beside me, giving me instructions on how to prepare those favorite meals and desserts like this niño envuelto.
The family is the most important thing we have and honoring our parents and heritage is the right thing to do. My Mom is not around us anymore. She’s my angel in heaven, but by cooking her favorite meals, it’s like having her here with us.
Proud to collaborate with iMujer and Daisy Sour Cream
I thought that since Christmas is fast approaching, it would be very nice to share my Mom’s special recipe so that you can start this tradition in your own home.
The “Niño Envuelto” is a recipe inspired by the original Spanish dessert called “Brazo de Gitano.” Spanish cuisine and the baking traditions of the old world have been adopted by many of our Latin American countries, including Mexico, my country of origin. Many of my family traditions are based on our Spanish heritage since my grandfather was from Madrid.
Grab the recipe card below and follow the step by step instructions so that you can prepare my Mom’s original recipe for Pumpkin Spice Roll. Happy and blessed holidays to you all!
Pumpkin Spice Roll Holiday Recipe
- Stand Mixer
- measuring cups and spoons
- Baking sheet
- Mixing bowls
- Parchment paper
- Clean cloth
- 9 eggs
- 1 cup of refined sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups of flour
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups of confectioners sugar
- 1/4 bar of unsalted butter
- 1 pudding box butterscotch flavor
- 1/4 cup of milk 2%
- 1 cup of Daisy sour cream
- 1 cup of pumpkin puree
- 1 tablespoon of pumpkin spice
- 1 cup of confectioners sugar
- Separate the whites from the yolks and place them in two different containers. Sift the flour and baking powder together and place in another bowl. Beat the egg whites in the blender until they rise to a fluffy consistency. Add the sugar little by little. Then add the vanilla and the sifted flour with the baking powder slowly.
- Grease a rectangular 12 x 17 x 1 inch mold and cover with parchment paper. Pour the cake into the pan and spread. Heat the gas oven to reach 400 degrees Fahrenheit and bake the cake for 20 minutes until golden brown.
- To make the pumpkin filling, add in the blender: the instant pudding, milk, Daisy sour cream, pumpkin puree and pumpkin spice. Mix well until the filling thickens. Place inside the fridge to allow the filling to set.
- Remove the cake from the oven using protection as the tray will be hot. Let the cake cool on a rack for 15 to 20 minutes. Dampen a clean cloth or rag with water. Place it on a flat surface and then add the confectioners sugar. Turn the cake over on this cloth and remove the parchment paper. Spread the pumpkin filling over the whole cake. Wrap it gently using the cloth and place it inside the refrigerator for 15-20 minutes to set.
- Remove the Pumpkin Spice Roll from the refrigerator and place it on a serving plate. Dust with additional confectioners sugars and some pumpkin spice. You can add Christmas flowers to decorate.