This post is also available in: Español
In Mexican cuisine, we like to use garnishes like Mexican pickled onions. This can be made with white onion or with purple onion. You can also find them with habanero peppers or with chopped serrano peppers. Or just plain with no spice but with a lot of flavor.
Mexican Pickled Onions Two Ways. One Pink and one Spicy Habanero.
Making the Mexican pickled onions is very easy. The hardest part is slicing the onions, as you will need to slice thinly and use 2-3 onions. Sometimes more, depending on the number of guests sitting at the table. Everyone loves the pickled onions, so we need to make sure to have enough for everyone.
The pickled onions are the perfect garnish for dishes like the Yucatan Pork Loin Pibil. Any pibil dish includes a side of pickled onions as it provides another layer of flavor to brighten up the bite. Yucatan cuisine is diverse, and pickling is part of the techniques they use to add flavor and preserve.
Watch the videos to see how easy it is to make these pickled onions!
When making pork tacos or pibil is important to know how to make the pickled onions to give an authentic experience. A pibil dish with no pickled onions is just not complete.
Pickled onions when adding habaneros or serrano peppers are also a great pairing for other dishes. Such as grilled meat tacos, tostadas, salmon, white fish, shrimp, and so much more. That is why today I am showing you both options.
The pink pickled onions get that color naturally as the main ingredients are purple onions. These pink onions add a nice presentation while adding flavor and balancing a dish. Pickled garnishes help to brighten up the meal too. And help cut through any heaviness. That is why they are added to fatty meats to make the bite more pleasant and light.
I invite you to try my recipe for pickled onions, simple and ready in no time. Everyone has their own technique. I am making them following my mom’s recipe.
Mexican Pickled Onions
For the Pink Pickled Onions
- 1 purple onion sliced thinly
- 1 teaspoon pink salt
- 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon sazon latino has cumin, salt, and oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup warm water
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
For the white onion habanero version
- 1 white onion sliced thinly
- 1 habanero chopped and seeded
- 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 1 teaspoon sea salt or pickling salt
- 1 cup warm water
- 1/3 cup white vinegar white or for pickling
- Cut the onions thinly and add to a bowl.
- Season with the lime juice and the spices.
- Add the vinegar and the warm water. Allow steeping in that solution for at least 30 minutes.
- Place inside a mason jar and keep refrigerated. These pickled onions will last for 8-10 days when properly sealed and stored.
- Spicy Mango Pineapple Chutney Recipe - November 17, 2022
- Squash Blossom Quesadillas Recipe - November 10, 2022
- Juicy Veal Burgers Recipe - July 20, 2022
In the white onion RECIPE, you show Vinegar twice. Are these two different tYpes of VINEGAR THAT i should use?
How long do the onions need to be refrigerated before they are ready to serve?
How long do hey last and stay serveable?
Hi! Could you please post the recipe for Spicy Habanero Pickled Onions? They look delicious and I’m anxious to make them! When I click on the picture it takes me to a 404 page and the video only lists the ingredients but not the measurements. I’ve got my onions sliced and ready to go!
I have been looking for a good pickled onion recipe for so long, which i can actually make in home. You got me exactly what I needed. now I can have an awesome dinner, with this. Thanks for the recipe.
What is Sazon Latino?