This post is also available in: Español
A delicious pineapple coconut rice pudding to celebrate any occasion and summer barbecues. Pineapple is a very tasty and pairs well with cow’s milk, coconut milk, condensed milk, cinnamon and coconut flakes. There are several ways to cook rice pudding.
At home, my mom made arroz con leche with cinnamon, brown sugar, whole milk and evaporated milk. Others like to cook the rice in sweetened water with cinnamon and when the rice condensed milk and evaporated milk is added.
Pineapple Coconut Rice Pudding
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups long grain rice
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 can condensed milk
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 2 cups fresh pineapple in chunks
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large pot add 1 cup of water and 2 cups whole milk combined with a cup of sugar and cinnamon stick. Let it get to the first boil.
- Add the two cups of rice and one can of coconut milk. Continue cooking the rice over low heat occasionally moving with a wooden spoon.
- When the rice is almost cooked add the condensed milk, the pineapple juice and combine by moving slowly with the wooden spoon.
- Let the rice pudding cool and refrigerate until you are ready to serve.
- Serve the rice pudding in dessert dishes, add small pieces of fresh pineapple, grated coconut and a dash of cinnamon.
I like to prepare the rice pudding just like my mom’s. Heating the milk with cinnamon and a little sugar. And when the milk is warm adding the rice to cook it slowly stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon. This is the procedure I prefer and the technique I have used to cook the pineapple coconut rice pudding that I will be serving at our next family reunion.
The pineapple I’m using for this rice pudding is sweet golden pineapple. It is easy to find almost yearlong. I like to buy it often and slice it at home to use in agua fresca, smoothies, enjoy at breakfast with yogurt and much more. In fact, fresh pineapple can be frozen and convert into a tasty pineapple sorbet.
The pineapple coconut rice pudding is simple but perfect dessert. We Latinos love classic desserts from our childhood. My mother-in-law loves rice pudding so from time to time I surprise her with this simple yet exquisite dessert that we have enjoyed so many times together.
The pineapple coconut rice pudding is a variation of the classic dessert recipe. And if there are any leftovers a great idea is to make rice pudding ice pops. This frozen bars are very popular in Mexico. We usually enjoy many ice pop flavors in the spring and summer. Most popular flavors include paletas de rompope, seasonal fruits, such as berries, mango, watermelon, tamarindo. And others like jamaica, chamoyada, and key lime.
Very soon I will be sharing special recipes for Mexican Paletas to inspire you to prepare them at home.