This post is also available in: Español
A Skull Guacamole for our Day of the Dead Menu and Avocado Carving Tips!
Guacamole is one of our favorite appetizers that we serve at home and now that we are putting together our Day of the Dead ofrenda decided to add to the menu a creative skull guacamole to complete the celebrations with an avocado carving.
For making this guacamole mash, we are using avocado Hass from Mexico, lime juice, salt, and cumin. It is very simple to prepare and so yummy!
And to bring the skull alive we are carving the eyes, the nose, and the mouth using a pairing knife, then decorating with radishes simulating a crown of flowers, and serrano pepper rounds.
Additional garnishes include lime rounds and piquillo pepper strips to add more color. We are serving the skull guacamole on a beautiful festive plate and pairing it with pork rinds or “chicharrones,” and blue corn chips.
How to know a Hass avocado is ripe and ready to use?
For the avocado smash, we are using two ripe avocados, and for the skull, we recommend using a firm avocado to facilitate the carving. Since avocado turns brown, this skull guacamole must be prepared the same day, and add lime juice to keep that bright green color.
How to identify the best avocado for a guacamole mash or for carving?
- You can identify when an avocado is ripe by checking out the color and the firmness.
- The color of a ripe avocado will be black and somewhat soft to the touch but not too much.
- You can remove the little stem and if the color that you see is green is good to use.
- If the color that you see is brown, the avocado is not good.
- A firm avocado is dark green and not black with a firm touch.
- That is the kind of avocado needed for best results when carving.
¿What is the complete Menu for our Day of the Dead Celebrations?
Our ofrenda this year includes Yucatan pork loin tacos, rice, beans, habanero pickled onions, warm corn tortillas, this skull guacamole, a refreshing vampiro cocktail with tequila blanco, agua fresca, pan de muerto, candied pumpkin, and flan.
Make the Skull Guacamole it is easy and fun!
Prepare this yummy appetizer for your Day of the Dead feast!
Guacamole is a must in any Mexican-themed dinner, are you ready to make this fun skull guacamole for the Day of the Dead?
- Cutting board
- Pairing knife
- 2 ripe avocados ready to use
- 1 firm avocado to carve
- 1 serrano pepper cut in rounds
- 1 piquillo pepper cut in strips
- 4 radishes cut in flower shapes
- 1 lime cut in rounds
- 1/2 lime
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- Start by cutting the radishes and form flowers, cut the lime round, the serrano, and the piquillo peppers, and set aside.
- Mash the two ripe avocados with a fork on a bowl. Add half of the lime juice and season with ground cumin and salt. Set aside.
- Using an edible ink marker mark the avocado to make precise cuts to make a skull shape. Use a sharp paring knife and start the carving.
- Serve the avocado mash in a serving bowl, and start decorating following the image on the recipe card.
- Serve the skull guacamole with blue corn chips and pork rinds.
Check us out on Facebook and YouTube!
- Spicy Mango Pineapple Chutney Recipe - November 17, 2022
- Squash Blossom Quesadillas Recipe - November 10, 2022
- Juicy Veal Burgers Recipe - July 20, 2022
How cool is that! Definitely using this idea for a Halloween party!
What a great idea, that guac looks so delicious!
So creative and perfect for Halloween!
This is super cute! I love the little skull in the guacamole!
I love the idea of serving pork rinds with this yummy guacamole. I’m totally going to do that tomorrow!