This post is also available in: Español
Roasted garlic mashed potatoes is the perfect side dish for yummy chipotle pineapple ham that we are serving this coming Easter celebration. Mashed potatoes are a quintessential side dish that is always present in a southern cuisine feast. And I have learned that adding freshly roasted garlic makes this traditional dish even more special.
Roasting garlic is very simple. Just need a big garlic head and olive oil. We are using a roasting dish but if you do not have one you can use aluminum foil instead.
Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- 10 russet potatoes peel and cut in quarters
- 6 cups water must cover the potatoes
- 1 tablespoon sazon latino cumin, black pepper, garlic, salt and oregano
- 1/2 stick of butter
- 1 scoop sour cream
- 1 garlic head cut in half
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Clean, peel and cut the potatoes in halves. Place them in a soup pan and add water to cover the potatoes. Cook on the stove covered with a lid until tender.
- In the meantime potatoes are cooking roast the garlic. Cut the garlic head in half and place on a roasting dish. Add olive oil, cover and cook inside the oven at 375 degrees Fahrenheit until creamy and getting a golden color.
- Strain the potatoes and add the condiments, then add the roasted garlic and mash.
- Add the butter and finally the butter. Mash again and combine.
- Serve hot and enjoy with ham or any meat of your preference.
To achieve creamy mashed potatoes using sour cream and butter plus other condiments to add more flavor. Watch the video to get the scoop.
We just love roasted garlic mashed potatoes. We serve this tasty side with many different dishes. Goes perfect with grilled meats and you can even use the roasted garlic mashed potatoes leftovers for soup and for making potato quesadillas.
The roasted garlic mashed potatoes can be made with Russet or Yukon potatoes. Many people like Yukon gold over Russet both work very good for mashing. As they contain higher starch and allow for a fluffy smooth mash. Besides Russets are white and Yukons are gold. It is a matter of taste and preference. In terms of condiments we are using sazón latino, a mix of ground pepper, cumin, oregano, garlic and salt. Butter and sour cream for a creamy consistency. All these ingredients together enhance the roasted garlic addition to the mashed potatoes.
This recipe for mashed potatoes are easy and make a nice pairing for almost any main dish. Besides who doesn’t enjoy a good scoop of fluffy mashed potatoes to complete a meal. Adding potatoes to the menu allows also to substitute rice.
When serving starchy sides like mashed potatoes it is important to have green vegetables to offer and complete balanced meal. And asparagus are now in season and are a good pairing for the chipotle pineapple ham and the roasted garlic mashed potatoes. You can put together a very nice meal when using fresh seasonal ingredients.
Hoping you get to try this heavenly side dish soon!
- Spicy Mango Pineapple Chutney Recipe - November 17, 2022
- Squash Blossom Quesadillas Recipe - November 10, 2022
- Juicy Veal Burgers Recipe - July 20, 2022
I can’t have enough of mashed potatoes, it is the ideal comfort food for me. Roasted garlic sounds like a fantastic addition, such a delish! Whoever said that tasty food is complicated was obviously wrong.
Roasted garlic potatoes are simply the best ever! SO good!
Roasted garlic and mashed potatoes… the perfect combo if you ask me. I bet that addition of sour cream makes this mashed potatoes irresistible. Love the seasoning you used here. This is a must try!
Roasted garlic is food of the gods for me! That sweet nuttiness is sooo good. Perfect for mashed potatoes!!
Could there be anything more simply delicious than roasted garlic??? I adore it and use it in so many dishes! Love it!!!