Smoky bacon perciatelli topped off with bacon fat fried quail eggs. This is what we have for dinner!
I worked with Hatfield Meats on this recipe post. Find Hatfield smoked bacon at Publix!
Inspired by classic carbonara pasta, we created a bacon perciatelli with garlic and quail eggs!
The perciatelli pasta is the same as a bucatini. It is a thicker form of spaghetti with a hole running through it. We decided to use this pasta instead of spaghetti because it is heartier and pairs well with the crunchiness of the thick-cut bacon.
Typically perciatelli is used with meaty sauces such as bolognese or broken for soups. This kind of pasta goes well with lighter sauces and olive oil bases too.
But if you cannot find it, it can be substituted with bucatini, thick spaghetti, or fettuccini. We like the bacon perciatelli pasta because it is satisfying and easy to cook.
Carbonara pasta has been one of our favorite dishes because of the smokiness of the bacon, luscious flavors of the egg yolks, and the Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese. So taking those same flavors, we created a tasty bacon perciatelli with garlic, olive oil, and chopped garlic.
We use quail eggs, as those are rich and creamy. It truly becomes the perfect topping for a superb bacon perciatelli.
Tips to follow when cooking bacon perciatelli with garlic and quail eggs.
First, head over to Publix and shop for Hatfield Thick Cut Hardwood Smoked Bacon. This pasta dish is best when using slices of thick-cut bacon.
Chop the bacon and cook it on the stovetop in a skillet over medium heat. It takes about 5 to 7 minutes to allow the bacon to be crisp.
Bacon fat is delicious when frying eggs or when cooking beans. Always save it! Remove some of the bacon fat and reserve it for frying the quail eggs.
Sauté the garlic with the jalapeño and the bacon. The jalapeño adds a spicy note, but it is optional. It could be replaced with red pepper flakes.
Cook the perciatelli pasta for 10 minutes in a big soup pot filled with boiling salted water. Reserve some of the cooking water to add at the end. It helps to melt the cheese and creates a sauce.
Add the cooked pasta to the bacon mix and combine using tongs or two forks. Add the chopped parsley, drizzle good quality olive oil, season with salt and pepper to taste, and add the parmesan cheese.
Fry the quail eggs in the bacon fat and add on top of the bacon perciatelli.
Why do we recommend Hatfield bacon?
Hatfield is dedicated to a higher operating standard called Pork With A Pledge™, the reason why their bacon and ham have better-quality and better-tasting products. Hatfield Meats is a family-owned business and has a variety of meats, from bacon to succulent hams.
At Publix, we bought the three types of Hatfield bacon: Classic Hardwood Smoked, Applewood Smoked, and the Thick Cut Hardwood Smoked Bacon. The three products are delicious enough to feed the whole family.
Because bacon is not only for breakfast, we use bacon in many applications ranging from bacon jam for preparing appetizers, seafood and pasta dishes, beans, and much more.
Ready to try the Bacon Perciatelli with Garlic and Quail Eggs?
Below is the recipe card with all the details, plus a step-by-step video explaining the cooking process.
Bacon Perciatelli with Garlic and Quail Eggs
- Pasta pot
- Large skillet
- Choping block
- 8 strips Hatfield Thick Cut Hardwood Smoked Bacon chopped
- 3 garlic cloves peeled and chopped
- 1 jalapeño stemmed, seeded, and thinly sliced
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 1 pack perciatelli pasta 16 ounces
- 1 gallon boiling water seasoned with salt
- 8 quail eggs
- 1 tablespoon bacon fat
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese shredded
- Cook the bacon stovetop in a skillet over medium heat. It takes about 5 to 7 minutes to allow the bacon to be crisp.
- Sauté the garlic with the jalapeño and the bacon.
- Cook the perciatelli pasta for 10 minutes in a big soup pot filled with boiling salted water.
- Add the cooked pasta to the bacon mix and combine using tongs or two forks.
- Garnish with the chopped parsley, drizzle good quality olive oil, season with salt and pepper to taste, and add the parmesan cheese.
- Fry the quail eggs in the bacon fat and add on top of the bacon perciatelli pasta.
- Use quail egg scissors to crack the eggs.
- To avoid the egg yolks from breaking, pour each egg into a small bowl.
- The pasta must be cooked al dente. It takes around 10 minutes to cook it using boiling water seasoned with salt. You can add a few drops of oil to avoid the pasta from sticking.
- Temper the pasta with cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Replace the jalapeño pepper with red pepper flakes.
- If you cannot find perciatelli pasta, use fettuccine, thick spaghetti, or short pasta like penne.
- Spicy Mango Pineapple Chutney Recipe - November 17, 2022
- Squash Blossom Quesadillas Recipe - November 10, 2022
- Juicy Veal Burgers Recipe - July 20, 2022
This recipe is delicious and easy to make! It makes a perfect lunch and dinner. Fill your nutritional gaps with a quality supplement: https://www.dietofcommonsense.com/blog/ Thank you for sharing it!
This dish looks so tasty and flavorful- I think the fact the bacon is thick cut is a great touch as well.
This looks absolutely gorgeous and i really need to make it. I buy quail eggs regularly so this is a must make.
So many great flavor combos in the Bacon Periciatelli with Garlic and quail eggs. This is a great recipe if you have never cooked with them before. I can’t wait to try this !
SO GOOD! Tried this last night and the family inhaled it in minutes. Must double the recipe next time!