This post is also available in: Español
A Chipotle Pineapple Ham inspired in mom’s Jamón Virginia recipe is our suggestion for upcoming Easter feast. Here in the United States ham is a very common dish for Christmas and for Easter brunch. There are many ways to prepare it. Famous recipes include glazes that go from honey bourbon to brown sugar, a Southern cuisine staple. But the classic is the ham glazed with pineapple slices, cherries and a delectable brown sugar glaze.
My family is from Chihuahua, and being a border state many American traditions have permeated our menu. Glazed ham is one of those dishes added to the family table. Everyone was very happy every time this dish was served as it is sweet and savory. A kid favorite too!
Inspired on those memories and flavor profiles we made a tasty Chipotle Pineapple Ham. Using fresh golden pineapple slices, pineapple juice, smoked chipotle powder, latin spices and turbinado sugar. All combined to make a very sweet and spicy glaze to dress and bake the ham.
Chipotle Pineapple Ham
- 1 smoked ham
- 1 fresh pineapple cut in rounds and then halves
- 1 can pineapple juice 177 ml
- 2 cups turbinado sugar
- 1 tablespoon smoked chipotle in powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic in powder
- 1 tablespoon de sazón latino
- In a sauce pan add the pineapple juice, the turbinado sugar, the chipotle, the garlic and the sazón latino. Combine with a whisk and cook on the stove at medium heat for 15 minutes until getting a syrup or a glaze.
- In a baking pan add the ham and few pineapple slices. Cover the ham with the chipotle pineapple glaze and bake inside the oven at 450 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes.
- Grill the pineapple slices on a skillet and when the ham is ready soak the slices on the warm glaze. Plate the ham and pour some of the glaze on a bowl for additional garnishing.
The Chipotle Pineapple Ham can be made in just 30 minutes. Watch the video and learn how easy is to make this dinner.
If you have never baked a ham, don’t be afraid, it is the easiest meal you’ll ever craft. Hams are sold smoked and fully cooked. There is no worries that the meat will be dry because the glaze will provide the needed moisture.
And besides adding pork to our festive Easter meal it is a good idea. Because pork is flavorful, versatile, healthy, easy to make, accessible and a great value. Today and every day enjoy “El Sabor de Hoy” with flavorful and easy to prepare pork recipes like this classic Chipotle Pineapple Ham reinvented to fit my Latino cooking style.
There is no better time than now to enjoy some delicious and flavorful pork recipes. Visit PorkTeInspira.com for recipe ideas and visit your nearest retailer for many budget-friendly pork cuts including a juicy and flavorful smoked ham paired with roasted garlic mashed potatoes and grilled asparagus tips.
Enjoy a tasty meal even more and feed a few or a crowd with impressive pork recipes that are convenient and accessible like this recipe for Chipotle Pineapple Ham.