This post is also available in: Español
Vegetarian Taco Boats is my suggestion for a Mexican style dinner option that is easy to make and uses ingredients you can easily find at the supermarket. Last year, while attending the BITE Food Technology Conference organized by Chef José Andrés in Silicon Valley I met the people behind the development of a new and interesting product called Beyond Meat. I have to admit, I am not affiliated with them nor I am getting paid for this endorsement.
This product is made with pea protein and they claim this product has 13 grams of protein and 5 grams of fat per a 55 grams serving. It is gluten and soy free. Has no cholesterol or saturated fat. I personally tasted the product at the conference and I can say it is delicious. You cannot tell you are eating pea protein!
Vegetarian Taco Boats
- 1 cup of chopped white onion
- 1 red pepper chopped
- 3 sweet peppers chopped
- 1 teaspoon of cooking oil
- 1 bag of Beyond Meat Feisty Crumble
- 1 can of bayo refried beans
- 2 cups of cooked brown rice leftover from prior day or buy precooked
- 2 cups of ready to use shredded iceberg lettuce
- 1/2 cup of chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup of cilantro
- 1 cup of cherry tomatoes cut in halves
- 1 in avocado cutslices
- 1 cup of queso fresco crumbles
- 6 flour tortilla taco boats
- In a pot add the cooking oil and sauté the onions, the red pepper and the sweet peppers. Then add the Beyond Meat crumble and combine. The crumble already comes seasoned so there is no need to add any salt. Cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Place the flour tortilla taco boats in the oven and toast for few seconds. Warm the bayo refried beans and the leftover brown rice.
- To put together the vegetarian taco boats add first some of the brown rice, then the Beyond Meat preparation and top with refried beans.
- Garnish the taco boats with the shredded lettuce, fresh cilantro, avocado slices, the cherry tomatoes, the crumbled queso fresco and the green onions.
- Enjoy paired with an agua fresca.
When I saw it being sold at my local Publix in the frozen foods aisle I decided to buy it. It isn’t inexpensive and comes in a small bag. To feed a complete family you probably will need two bags. For this Vegetarian Taco Boats however I am using just one bag and serves up to six boats but you have to consider the boats have other components not only the “beef” crumble.
I normally do not review products nor I would recommend something it isn’t tasty and that hasn’t been tested at my own kitchen. The Beyond Meat product combined with the rest of the ingredients in the recipe card it is a very tasty option. If looking for a vegetarian dish to offer your family or just for a change this is a good dish to serve.
The vegetarian taco boats are very simple to make and pretty much all ingredients come from the store, so there is not a lot of intensive cooking and you can have dinner served in less than 20 minutes. This recipe for the vegetarian taco boats is perfect for those that are just starting to cook at home, like college students or bachelors that want to have a hot meal without having to go out.
Enjoy this vegetarian taco boats for Taco Tuesday, or when craving Mexican flavors. Break out of the microwave oven syndrome and cook this recipe for Cinco de Mayo. I am sure will satisfy the most demanding palates!