This post is also available in: Español
This is a compensated campaign in collaboration with Kikkoman and Latina Bloggers Connect.The opinions and text are all mine.
I have always loved the flavor of the Kikkoman Teriyaki Sauce so I decided to create an appetizer recipe inspired in traditional “chalupas” from Mexico and the result were smoky full of flavor Teriyaki Chicken Chalupas, perfect appetizer to start any meal with a mouthwatering bite.
For these chalupas I am using fresh produce from my vegetable garden and juicy farm fresh chicken from a local farm in my area.
Teriyaki Chicken Chalupas
- 1 small chicken breast
- 1/2 cup of Kikkoman Teriyaki Sauce
- 2 cloves garlicchopped or pureed
- 1 teaspoon of crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1/2 cup of peanut oil
- 4 petite flour tortillas 3-4 inches
- 3 green onions
- 4 cilantro leaves
- Place the chicken breast in a bowl and add the Kikkoman Teriyaki Sauce, the garlic, the cumin and the black pepper. Combine all ingredients well, cover and marinade inside the fridge for at least three hours or overnight.
- Place the grilling pan in the stove and when hot grill the chicken breast on both sides. When cooked take out of the pan and let it rest before cutting to avoid juices to come out.
- In a frying pan add the peanut oil and when hot fry one by one each of the flour tortillas and set aside.
- Slice the grilled chicken breast, chop the green onions and have the cilantro leaves handy.
- Build the chalupas by adding one or two small slices of the grilled chicken, then add the green onions and garnish with cilantro leaves. You can serve with a side of additional teriyaki sauce if you would like to add few drops more.
Chalupas are a favorite street food in Mexico very popular in the states of Hidalgo and Puebla. Traditionally chalupas are made with petite thin corn tortillas that are fried in pork lard, then topped with shredded beef or chicken and drizzled with spicy tomato sauce or tomatillo salsa. You can watch the video below to learn how easy is to make these delicious Asian inspired chalupas!
I am taking this chalupa recipe inspiration to create the Teriyaki Chicken Chalupas that are smoky and have the perfect balance between sweet and tangy, thanks to the Kikkoman Teriyaki sauce which is a mixture of soy sauce and spices.
This chalupa has different levels of textures from soft to crunchy to provide a perfect bite to enjoy as an amuse bouche before the main course. This mouthwatering bite will be the perfect introduction to what is to come in a special dinner when entertaining at home.
Teriyaki sauce was first created in Japan and when Japanese families emigrated to Hawaii they modified the original recipe including other ingredients like fresh ginger, brown sugar, pineapple juice and green onions. That is why in many teriyaki recipes we see the use of pineapple and green onions to garnish as they complement very nicely with the flavor of the teriyaki sauce. Teriyaki sauce is commonly used for meats to enhance the flavor. The word teriyaki means glazed-broiled so this sauce is wonderful for using in marinades before grilling or to baste during the grilling process to get a juicy and flavorful meat.
This is my entry to the Kikkoman Sabor recipe contest, wish me luck!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Kikkoman. The opinions and text are all mine.