This post is also available in: Español
Stuffing Stuffed Apples are a great way to serve your traditional cornbread stuffing. Using the apples as the vessel adds a delicious flavor and a great presentation.
I have made this stuffing stuffed apples with cornbread muffins, green onions, celery, apple pieces, chopped vidalia onions and butter. All combined with thyme, black pepper and chicken bouillon in powder.
Stuffing Stuffed Apples
- 5 honecrisp apples
- 4 cornbread muffins
- 1/2 butter stick
- 1/2 cup of chopped celery
- 1/3 cup of chopped vidalia onions
- 1/3 cup green onions
- 2 cups honeycrisp apples pulp
- 1 tablespoon of thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon of chicken bouillon
- 2 cups of apple cider
- Cut the apples on the top and with a melon baller remove some of the apple pulp to the point that you make a vessel for stuffing the apple.
- Chop the veggies and set aside. In a sautéing pan add the butter and sauté the onions, the celery, and the apples. Season with the spices.
- Crumble the cornbread muffins and add on top of the veggies. Combine well and add the apple cider.
- Place the apples in a baking pan and stuff them with the cornbread stuffing. Add 1 cup of apple cider to the bottom of the dish and bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutos.
- Take out of the oven and serve with Chipotle Apple Beer Pork Loin or with another meat like turkey, lamb or chicken.
Using seasonal ingredients like apples it is a great idea. This are abundant during this time of the year and you can find many different types. I am using honeycrisp apples, but you can choose granny smith for a tart finish or use gala apples too.
Serving the stuffing this way also provides a nice presentation for your meal and makes it a bit more fancier. Specially during the holidays when we are looking for special meals to add to your feast.
Apples and pork are a natural pairing and I am serving this stuffing stuffed apples alongside a nice Chipotle Apple Beer Pork Loin. Both complement each other very nicely and make a party for your tastebuds. My family of from the north of Mexico, and I grew up embracing many of the American traditional dishes from the south. Like cornbread, stuffing, cranberry sauce, turkey and gravy, steak and eggs and chili. That is why I appreciate a good homemade cornbread.
Cornbread is such a staple in the Southern cuisine. It is sweet and flavorful just perfect for this Stuffing Stuffed Apples side dish. The cornbread muffins I am using are store bought, but you can make those from scratch at home too.
The Stuffing Stuffed Apples add a rustic look to your menu too. The apple shape is so beautiful. And adding a whole oven baked apple to the dish makes a complete meal. Apples are so good in so many ways. They have fiber and vitamin C too and are delicious too.