This post is also available in: Español
Making refreshing pitaya lemonade for our Day of the Dead menu!
Pitaya or also called Dragon Fruit has Vitamin C and antioxidants, and it is considered a super fruit. It is cultivated in Southeast Asia, Florida and the Caribbean. It can also be found in tropical regions and Australia. Some are hot pink inside and out while others are yellow or hot pink on the outside but inside are just plain white with small black seeds. In Florida, this crop flowers in the summer and fruits are picked on the fall months.
What is the taste of a pitaya?
The pitaya or dragon fruit is part of the Cactaceae family and doesn’t have much taste. Using lime or lemon juice to infuse the pitaya lemonade agua fresca is a good idea as provides a pleasant citrus note. This recipe for agua fresca I’ve created for Day of the Dead celebrations. It has few ingredients and is a perfect addition to your menu even if you do not celebrate this Mexican tradition.
The pitaya lemonade is refreshing and perfect for any occasion. You need to try it and look for pitaya fruit from Florida. Helping our local farmers is a good thing.
Support Florida farmers!
The state of Florida not only produces citrus but tropical fruits like pitaya and mamey. As well as onions, peppers, tomatoes, mushrooms, and strawberries. The strawberry season usually starts in December. Cannot wait to enjoy Florida strawberries again this year.
Many tasty dishes can be prepared with Florida produce. Try my stuffed peppers; these are very easy to make and meatless. Or why not some mushroom fajita tacos, another vegetarian option using Florida mushrooms available year round. Radishes are perfect for adding as a garnish and to oven roast. Florida radishes so inexpensive, fresh, and sold year round.
Bring something new to your family table, prepare this pitaya lemonade today!
- 2 Dragon fruits or pitayas
- 1/2 cup of cane sugar or stevia for a sugar-free option
- 1 cup of lime or lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 2 drops of beet juice to add natural, subtle pink color (optional)
- 6 glasses of cold water
- 3 cups Ice for serving
- Cut the pitaya in halves and scoop with a spoon. Add the scooped pulp to the blender along with the lime or lemon juice, the sugar and 3 cups of cold water.
- Blend and pour into a pitcher. Add the rest of the water and stir.
- Enjoy with ice and garnish with more pitaya if desired.
Products from Amazon.com
- Spicy Mango Pineapple Chutney Recipe - November 17, 2022
- Squash Blossom Quesadillas Recipe - November 10, 2022
- Juicy Veal Burgers Recipe - July 20, 2022
This drink looks refreshing!! Love dragon fruit..will definitely give it a try soon!
Dragon Fruit is just such a fun ingredient to work with! Great idea to use it in a lemonade recipe – yum!
Oh, wow! This is a really cool (and delicious) looking drink! Love the tradition and background information, too.
This looks like such a fun drink! I can’t wait to try it!
This Halloween party drink looks like the perfect treat. Looks so festive!