This post is also available in: Español
The strawberries and cream, a classic dessert in my Mexican Cuisine. At home my family always cooked with the seasons so when berries were available in the market we would delight ourselves with fresas from Celaya, Guanajuato.
The berries and cream that I am suggesting today are made with freshly picked strawberries, sugar on the raw and crema mexicana. The Mexican cream is similar to crème fraîche but with a light consistency and sweet creamy milky flavor.
Not so long ago had the chance to stop by Yolo County in California and visited T & Y Strawberry Patch. A farm owned by a family of immigrants that came for Sri Lanka pursuing the dream of a better life.
They started working in farming when they arrived to Woodland. And after many years of saving in 2016 they became owners of their own farm in one of the most productive and fertile counties in California: Yolo County.
Watch the video to learn more!
This farming family is humble people with humble beginnings. Welcoming and with a beautiful story of hard work and family values. When they were talking about their story I teared up as I can relate with them. I am an immigrant too. We share same values putting family first and working hard to accomplish a dream.
Strawberries and Cream a Classic Mexican Dessert
- 1 pint fresh straberries clean and cut in halves
- 2 tablespoons sugar on the raw
- 1/2 cup crema mexicana crème fraîche
- Clean and cut the strawberries in half. Place in a bowl.
- Mix the strawberries with the sugar on the raw and mix.
- Serve the strawberries in a cup and drizzle with crema mexicana or crème fraîche.
- Optional is to add sherry or sweet red wine to make a syrup with the sugar on the raw. This addition will add even more flavor to the dessert.
- The sugar can be replaced with stevia for a sugar free option.
And what a beautiful immigrant dream come true. Growing fresh berries among other produce and sweet pea flowers. Making the community happy providing the true farm to table experience in Woodland, California.
I invite you to research around you area and meet the farmers. Talk to them, ask questions. Buy the produce directly from them and learn the process on how they grow the food we eat. Eating seasonal fruits saves money as it is less expensive and you will enjoy the true flavor of a ripen seasonal fruit.
Products from Amazon.com
- Spicy Mango Pineapple Chutney Recipe - November 17, 2022
- Squash Blossom Quesadillas Recipe - November 10, 2022
- Juicy Veal Burgers Recipe - July 20, 2022
Me and my family are crazy about strawberries.. and happy that strawberry picking season is here… can’t wait to try this simple yet delicioiis recipe of yours.
My kind of dessert. Not much work to do but delicious. So glad we are in strawberry season now
I had made something similar called Bionico a few days and we loved it. I love this dessert for this time of the year when strawberries are in season. Love a dessert when it highlights the fruits.
You just can’t beat strawberries and whipped cream. Now that is unless you add the element of chocolate. Oh. My. Heavens. Ecstacy! I’m drooling over the photos of your strawberries. I think it’s a treat in any country.
Gorgeous desserts, i love such desserts that brings up the flavors of the fruit first! love how it is served with a drizzle of creame fraiche! yumm