This post is also available in: Español
This week is not only my birthday but Cinco de Mayo celebrations too. And we are suggesting to cook a Mexican Turkey Picadillo Tostada Bowl. Made with lean ground turkey meat, Mexican spices, mushrooms, chopped jalapeños and diced potatoes.
This Mexican turkey picadillo is served on a crispy tortilla bowl, with cilantro lime white rice, black beans, avocado slices and a citrus fresh slaw. The slaw has purple and white cabbage, and raw carrots. Dressed with lime juice, cilantro leaves, olive oil, pepper and salt to taste.
This crispy bowl is a very nice option to serve on a weeknight dinner, Taco Tuesday or for this Cinco de Mayo celebrations. It is easy to make and reasonable in cost. All ingredients I found at my local supermarket.
Mexican Turkey Picadillo Tostada Bowl
- 3 pounds lean ground turkey meat
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil corn or soybean
- 2 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1 white onion chopped
- 2 jalapeños chopped and deveined
- 2 cups mushrooms sliced or ground
- 6 yellow potatoes cubed
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1 teaspoon ground garlic
- 1 teaspoon black ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 can Mexican style tomato puree
- 2 cups water or chicken broth
- 1 bag cole slaw white and purple cabbage and carrots
- 1 tablespoon cilantro chopped
- 1 lime juice
- 1 avocado sliced
- 8 tortilla crispy bowls or crispy taco shells
- In a cast iron cooking pot add the cooking oil, then the turkey meat and sauté. Add the onion, garlic jalapeño, the potatoes, the mushrooms and stir.
- Add the spices Pour the whole can of Mexican style puree and the water. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes until potatoes are tender.
- Prepare the slaw adding the cabbage, the cilantro and the shredded carrots in a bowl. Juice the lime and season with olive oil, pepper and salt.
- Prepare the bowls by layering cooked cilantro lime rice, black beans, turkey picadillo.
- Finish the bowl garnishing with citrus slaw, avocado slices and salsa taquera.
The nice thing of this recipe is that you can make enough turkey picadillo and freeze half for later enjoyment. Adding more potatoes and mushrooms increases the volume without increasing the cost. Watch the video to learn more.
If your family does not like mushrooms you can ground them in the blender or a food processor and combine with the turkey ground meat. This hides the mushrooms and add more flavor and volume for a better option.
This Mexican turkey picadillo can be flavored with homemade taco seasoning. Just combine ground paprika, garlic, cumin, rotisserie chicken spice, salt and pepper to taste. Or you can buy your favorite packet of taco seasoning available a the supermarket.
This recipe is versatile and you can add your own flavors and combinations. If want to use crispy taco shells instead of tortilla bowls you can. This recipe is also good for burritos or soft tacos with flour tortillas.
Now we are ready to party with the favors of my Mexican cuisine. Just prepare some agua fresca, margaritas and a dessert and you are all set to celebrate big this Cinco de Mayo with family and friends.