This post is also available in: Español
Disclaimer: This is part of a sponsored collaboration with DiMe Media and National Pork Board. All opinions are 100% mine.
The National Pork Board is inviting us to check out the Porkcast for the fall and my Porknostico is a delicious dish using pork tenderloin and traditional Mexican spices resulting in a lean carnitas tacos recipe that is perfect for the fall and all the upcoming celebrations, like Halloween, Hispanic Heritage, Día de Muertos, and Las Posadas.
This recipe is inspired in the original carnitas recipe but using lean meat and skipping the frying.
Lean Carnitas Tacos Recipe
- 1 pound of pork loin cut in medium size cubes
- 2 teaspoons of ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon of ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons of oregano
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup of water
- 24 corn tortillas
- 1 cup of chopped white onion
- 1 cup of cilantro leaves
- 1 cup of serrano avocado sauce
- Season the pork meat with the spices and sear using olive oil. Blend the garlic cloves with the water and when the pork is golden brown pour the garlic water and cook for 45 minutes until tender.
- Shred the cooked pork, chop the onions and prep the cilantro leaves. The serrano avocado sauce recipe you can find in this site for details.
- Warm the tortillas and for making the tacos add some of the carnitas and garnish with onions, cilantro and the spicy avocado sauce.
- These lean carnitas tacos are perfect for parties. You can set up a taco bar and enjoy.
At the end we need to look for better options for our family and for having a balanced nutrition while enjoying our favorites foods and flavor profiles. Watch the video to learn how to make this delicious and easy recipe.
Pork is such a versatile protein, there are many dishes in the latino cuisine that include pork. One that is a favorite are the pork chops, that can be cooked in so many ways. Going from the grill to the oven.
I particularly like pork loin, which is heart healthy. I include this protein in many of my grilling dishes and stews. But have found that it is also wonderful for preparing lean carnitas for tacos and or rice bowls.
When cooking with pork you can also opt for adding flavor instead of fat , this is using marinades and rubs. Same as the rubs I used for the lean carnitas tacos recipe that includes cumin, pepper and oregano and paired with fresh garlic to infuse even more flavor to the dish.
Grilling and using the pressure cooker or the slow cooker are good options for preparing pork meat and get wonderful results achieving juicy and tender meat.
Also choosing pork allows you to save time in the kitchen since the lean cuts cook fast. That is why I invite you to let the “Porkcast” be your guide to a variety of quick, easy and delicious pork-inspired meals this fall.
Like my very own lean carnitas tacos recipe. To check out the latest “Porkcast” and find inspiring tips, recipes and videos, please visit Porkteinspira.com/porknostico.
Be prepared for any weather forecast and enter to win a #Porknostico umbrella! Enter via DiMeMedia.net