This post is also available in: Español
Any Easter Menu needs the best green beans side dish to complement the feast!
Traditionally, many households include a classic green bean casserole, but we are suggesting to make the best green beans side dish using only four ingredients.
The recipe has fresh string green beans (preferably locally sourced not canned), fresh garlic, olive oil, and a favorite seasoning of your choice.
Could be chicken bouillon in powder, seasoned salt, or a Latin seasoning mix (called complete seasoning from the Badia brand) found at the supermarket.
This recipe is ready in a few minutes and makes the perfect pairing to a Virginia Ham or other protein you might be serving for your Easter brunch
Tips for cooking the perfect string beans.
- Choose firm string beans, those that have a deep green color and do not show brown spots.
- Clean the veggies with running water and place on a colander.
- Remove the ends but cutting with a knife or snap by hand. You can slice or cut in smaller pieces if desired.
- In a big pot add water and let it boil and add a pinch of salt.
- Add the beans to the boiling salted water and blanch for 5-7 minutes until getting a brighter green color.
- Do not overcook.
- Following these steps, the string beans will keep their gorgeous green color and won’t be mushy.
- After this process is done green beans are perfect for freezing, eat in salads, use in dishes or sautee.
Eat your green veggies!
When planning the menu, I recommend adding fresh options and go for green veggies to add color and nutrition. Fresh green beans are sweet and have a nice crunch when not overcooked. And are a good source of fiber and folate too. Sautéing veggies with olive oil it is a heart-healthy option and provides delicious flavor.
I enjoy using local Florida produce, and green beans are one of those that are at the top of our list. There are many farms near my home that cultivate them in the Plant City and Lakeland areas — making it the freshest option I can bring to my table.
If you don’t live in Florida look for local farms and support them buying their fresh products. You will be surprised by the results.
Best Green Beans Side Dish
- 2 pounds fresh green beans cleaned
- 8 cups boiling water with salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves sliced
- 1 tablespoon favorite condiment or salt and pepper
- Blanch the green beans first to allow the bright green color to stay during the sauteing process. Blanching is easy. Bring water to a full boil, add a pinch of salt and add the beans. Leave there for 5-7 minutes and strain. Temper with iced water.
- Slice the garlic cloves and add olive oil to a sauteing pan. Saute the garlic and then add the green beans. Season with your favorite condiment or salt and pepper. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Serve on a bowl family style and enjoy. These green beans are crunchy and flavorful perfect addition to the Easter menu or a weekly meal.