This post is also available in: Español
I love to eat fresh salads specially when the weather is so hot so today we are enjoying a beautiful rainbow carrot shrimp salad with rainbow baby carrots, tender lettuce, fields greens, cilantro, sweet peppers and green onions. Dressed with a simple vinaigrette made with olive oil, lime juice, soy sauce and Italian seasonings.
This rainbow shrimp salad is fresh and also so pretty to the eye. In my opinion eating colorful is the key for a happy meal. And now that we are to start the summer holiday season having fresh salad ideas to offer to our family is key. Because who wants to have a hot meal when the weather is in the high 80’s.
Rainbow Carrot Shrimp Salad
- 12 precooked jumbo shrimps
- 4 cups of fresh lettuce and filed greens
- 4 small Florida sweet peppers chopped use red and yellow
- 1 cup of rainbow carrots
- 1/3 cup of chopped green onions
- 1 bunch of fresh cilantro sprigs
- 1 cup of olive oil
- 1/2 cup of lime juice
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of Italian seasoning
- Place a bed of lettuce on a serving bowl.
- Layer with the sweet peppers, the rainbow carrots, the green onions and the cilantro sprigs.
- Add the shrimps in the middle to simulate a tower
- Prepare the dressing combining the olive oil, with the lime juice, the soy sauce and the spices.
- Serve family style and put the dressing on the side.
We live in Florida and weather temperatures here in the summer can go above the 100’s so eating colorful salads it is what I crave. This rainbow shrimp salad is very simple. I am using pre-cooked frozen shrimps, like those that are sold at the grocery store for cocktails. I like the jumbo size so that the salad can look more impressive to the eye.
I grow my own lettuce and herbs so it is easy to go outside to my garden and cut some tender lettuce to use on the salad and garnish with fresh cilantro from my own harvest. If you do not grow your own you can purchase bagged lettuce and cilantro at the store. Where I picked up colorful rainbow baby carrots, Florida sweet peppers and green onions.
I am passionate about produce, I love to try any vegetable specially those that have bright colors. So when I saw the rainbow baby carrots at the market I just have to buy them. They are sweet and crunchy, perfect pairing for a rainbow shrimp salad. The rainbow carrot shrimp salad can also be served on a special occasion. I remember those days when my mom and aunts would meet to discuss menu plans for an upcoming party celebration and you overheard shrimps were in the menu, for sure that was considered a fancy offering.
But now shrimps can be found in the market at better prizes so whenever I can I include shrimps in my daily menu so that the little ones at home can taste other proteins but chicken fingers.
I hope you liked this salad, because it is delicious and fresh to the palate!