This post is also available in: Español
This shop and the Mexican Buddha Bowl have been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #40DiasMorningStar #CollectiveBias
A Mexican Buddha Bowl is the suggestion for Lent. This dish has flavorful ingredients, such as mushrooms, serrano peppers and MorningStar Farms® Grillers® Crumbles™, which is a wonderful meal starter and vegetarian kitchen option that is low cost and perfect to fit a busy lifestyle. Or for those craving meat free options that are easy to make for breakfast, lunch or dinner. MorningStar Farms® has many products suitable for the Lent menu or whenever craving meatless dishes to offer the whole family.
The MorningStar Farms® products are available at Walmart. Where we purchased Grillers® Crumbles™ and MorningStar Farms® Spicy Black Bean Burgers, as well as all the ingredients for the tasty Mexican Buddha Bowl recipe.
The Buddha bowls are an increasing trend among foodies that love meatless and vegetarian options. The Buddha Bowls include grains, nuts, vegetarian protein, fresh produce and are garnished with tasty sauces.
Inspired on this idea we created a Mexican Buddha Bowl that has a nice combination of flavors and textures.
Learn how to make the Mexican Buddha Bowl by watching the video and following the step by step instructions on the recipe card.
This recipe has fresh produce such as mushrooms, garlic, serrano peppers, field greens, avocados, and tomatoes. The serving suggestion calls for sprouted lentils quinoa, a poached egg and garnished with roasted tomatillo salsa verde for a rustic note.
Mexican Buddha Bowl
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 cup purple onion chopped
- 1 serrano pepper chopped
- 2 cups portabella mushrooms sliced
- 1 package MorningStar Farms® Grillers® Crumbles™, 16.2 oz value pack
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 1 teaspoon de sazón latino with salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup water
- 4 cups cooked quinoa with sprouted lentils
- 1 avocado sliced
- 10 cherry tomatoes cut in halves
- 1 cup salsa verde
- 3 cups field greens
- Prep all the ingredients and cook using a large pot. Add the olive oil and sauté the garlic with the onions and the serranos.
- Then add the sliced mushrooms and the MorningStar Farms® Grillers® Crumbles™, 16.2 oz. Use the complete bag. Combine well.
- Season with cumin, paprika, Mexican oregano, and sazón latino. Add the water and let it simmer for few minutes covered.
- Build the Mexican Buddha Bowl adding a portion of the cooked Grillers® Crumbles™, sprouted lentils quinoa, field greens, tomatoes and avocado slices.
- Finish the bowl with roasted tomatillo salsa verde for a rustic note.
Using quinoa instead of rice is a good replacement. Quinoa has fiber and it is tasty when cooked correctly. We like to brown the quinoa as part of the cooking process. This adds a nutty flavor that complements very well the Mexican style of cooking.
The sprouted lentils added to the quinoa make the combination even tastier. Legumes are a staple of our Latino style of cooking and lentils are delicious too.
I invite you to try this Mexican Buddha Bowl recipe for meatless Monday or this Friday for Lent. And stay connected with us, starting this week we will be publishing delicious lent recipes each week.