This post is also available in: Español
An Italian warm basil tomato quinoa salad is a perfect addition for meatless Monday or to serve as a side dish with a delightful lent favorite. A lemon garlic flounder grilled inside the oven and paired with roasted zucchini slices for a complete meal.
Watch the video on how to make the flounder paired with the Italian warm basil tomato quinoa salad!
If you have been following our recipe site we have been publishing lenten recipes for several years now. And this fish paired with an Italian inspired warm basil tomato quinoa salad you cannot miss. If you do not observe lent but enjoy fish, flounder is a nice option as it is a white fish with a pleasant non fishy aroma and taste.
Quinoa is a good option if you are looking to swap white rice or pasta for a wholesome side. Right now, it is easy to find cherry tomatoes in the market too. And since my family loves Italian inspired dishes this Italian warm basil tomato quinoa salad is a flavorful addition mimicking the flavor profile of a classic basil tomato pasta but using quinoa instead of traditional pasta.
Diabetes is a common illness in my family. Switching white flours or rice for whole grains is a good idea. That way we can still enjoy the favorite meals but with simple swaps we can make them better options that everyone will enjoy. Serving balanced meals it is important. Cooking with diverse ingredients and adding fresh seasonal produce not only helps with the household economy but contributes for a better lifestyle.
Learn how easy this recipe is by watching the step by step recipe video below.
I enjoy introducing new wholesome dishes to the daily menu to not only satisfy our tastebuds but fill our belly with colorful food. That is why I love having an edible garden at home. Cannot wait to start planting. Nothing like harvesting tomatoes and fresh basil from my own garden.
Are you ready to taste the Italian warm basil tomato quinoa salad?
Italian Warm Basil Tomato Quinoa Salad
- 2 cups quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon corn oil
- 1 cup heirloom cherry tomatoes sliced
- 3-4 basil leafs julienned
- 1 tablespoon mustard with seeds
- 1/3 cup corn oil
- 3 limes juiced
- 1 teaspoon sazon latino with cumin and oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- Cook the quinoa on the stove by frying the quinoa for few minutes fist. Then add the salt and the water. Cover and quinoa will be ready when water is all absorbed.
- Slice the tomatoes and add to the warm quinoa along with julienned fresh basil leafs.
- Prepare the vinaigrette by combining the mustard, the lime juice and the seasonings. Drizzle the salad and serve.
- You can use olive oil for the mustard seed dressing if desired.
- Can replace lime juice with vinegar. However using fresh lime juice is better because provides a fresh finish.
- If fresh basil is not available use fresh parsley instead.