This post is also available in: Español
The grilled queso fresco is served with homemade salsa verde, cactus, avocado and crema mexicana. This is perfect appetizer when entertaining at home however it is also a meatless option for a weekly dinner. Just add a side of rice and beans and dinner is served. Just add a side of rice and beans and dinner is served!
The queso fresco is grilled on a skillet and then served over a homemade warm salsa verde, topped with cactus nopalitos, avocado slices and fresh cilantro. Finished with a drizzle of crema mexicana. You can enjoy this appetizer with warm corn tortillas or chips.
Watch the step by step recipe tutorial and learn how to make the grilled queso fresco!
One of the brands that manufacture Mexican style queso fresco that we seek locally is Tropical Queso Fresco Mexicano. This is the most consumed cheese by the Mexican community here in the United States. It has a soft and moist consistency, but with a delicate flavor and fine grain texture. It does not melt when heated and often is crumbled to use as a garnish or as a filling of prepared dishes. Traditionally, this queso fresco is used in tacos, chilaquiles, enchiladas, sopes, flautas and tostadas. It can also be added to refried beans and soups or used to stuff chiles rellenos or as an ingredient in salads and cheesecakes.
Tropical Cheese Queso Fresco Mexicano is excellent for my recipe. It can be grilled because it does not melt; then served with a warm homemade green sauce. For a very Mexican touch, cactus nopalitos, avocado and fresh cilantro can be added, as well as ribbons of Tropical Cheese Crema Mexicana. You can enjoy this appetizer with warm corn tortillas for tacos or with tortilla chips.
Tropical Cheese Industries is a family owned and operated business founded by Rafael Mendez, a Cuban immigrant. With a great dream to create a line of fresh cheeses for the Latino community, he founded Tropical Cheese Industries in the eighties at their current headquarters in New Jersey. With the mission of offering authenticity in their products he hired the help of expert cheesemakers from several countries who use premium dairy products for the cheeses and creams that they market and manufacture here in the United States.
And the best thing is that Tropical Queso Fresco Mexicano is available in many stores nationwide. I invite you to visit their website tropicalcheese.com to get to know the full range of products they have available.
Are you ready to prepare and devour this delicious grilled queso fresco that I have today as an option to offer at a family reunion or with friends. Everyone will love it, including yourself!
Grilled Queso Fresco
- 1 Tropical Queso Fresco Mexicano
- 10 tomatillos
- 4 serranos
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 bunch of cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 cooking spray
- 1 cup cactus nopalitos
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 tablespoon Tropical Crema Mexicana
- Prepare the tomatillo salsa by first cleaning all the vegetables with running water. Roast the tomatillos, the garlic and the serranos using a comal. Cook the tomatillos, the garlic and the serranos in a pot with some water until vegetables are cooked.
- Blend the cooked vegetables along with a bunch of cilantro and some of the cooking water but not a lot. Pour back the sauce into the soup pan. Season with chicken bouillon and cumin. Let the sauce simmer.
- Add cooking spray to a grilling skillet and grill the queso fresco on both sides. The cheese won't melt will just get the grilling marks.
- In a serving bowl add the warm salsa verde and then the grilled queso fresco. Garnish with cooked cactus nopalitos (optional), avocado slices and cilantro leaves.
- Finish with crema mexicana ribbons and serve with warm corn tortillas for tacos.
Products from Amazon.com
Price: Check on Amazon
Price: $6.95Was: $39.95