This post is also available in: Español
A Vegetarian Hot Dogs Feast for Meat and Veggie Lovers Alike!
This Memorial Day weekend we are suggesting a vegetarian hot dogs feast because there is nothing more American than hot dogs. And offering a meatless option in the menu is a good idea to satisfy the tastebuds for those that embrace a plant based diet or meat lovers that want to enjoy a different kind of hot dog with less calories but with lots of flavor.
Watch the step by step video tutorial on how to make this yummy vegetarian hot dogs feast.
This vegetarian sausages are made with grains, Yukon potatoes, apples and sage. This is first time I try vegetarian sausages and was surprised on how tasty and satisfying they are. This sausages can be cooked on a traditional grill or inside in a stove top grilling pan.
I decided to make a green apple and jicama slaw to garnish the meatless hot dog, and added habanero mustard for an extra kick. The green apple slaw is made with shredded jicama, granny smith apples and finely chopped jalapeños. Dressed with rice vinegar, lemon juice, and Mexican spices. It is refreshing and has the perfect balance between sweet and sour. Much better than sauerkraut!
Instead of pairing the hot dogs with traditional potato fries I made grilled purple potatoes and the hot dog buns are whole wheat for a better option. I served this meal to my family and they loved it. I have beef lovers and they were very surprised on how good this meatless hot dogs are.
Lately, I have been adding some meatless options to our weekly meals and all have been delicious. Offering variety and tasting different ingredients allows to expand our palate and food universe.
Are you ready to try this yummy vegetarian hot dogs? This are ready in no time.
Vegetarian Hot Dogs Feast
- Grilling skillet
- 1 package vegetarian sausages with potatoes, apples and sage
- 4 whole grain hot dog buns
- 1 teaspoon habanero mustard
- 1 cup green apple and jicama slaw
- Grill the vegetarian sausages in a grilling pan using vegetable or corn oil. The sausages will be ready when the grilling marks appear.
- Warm the whole grain hot dog buns and spread some habanero mustard. You can use whole grain mustard or dijon if desired.
- Garnish with green apple and jicama slaw and enjoy with a side of grilled purple potatoes.
- You can use turkey, chicken or pork sausages if desired.
- The hot dog buns can be warmed or toasted.
- The vegetarian sausages can be grilled on a conventional outdoor grill.