This post is also available in: Español
Welcome to the 7 Weeks of Lent Recipes!
This year Ash Wednesday is February 10th and for us Christians is the period when we observe lent and every year I join a group of Latina food bloggers in the 7 Weeks of Lent Recipes. We share our family favorite dishes and provide meatless options for the upcoming fasting days.
The 7 Weeks of Lent Recipes series is a useful resource if you are looking for easy vegetarian dishes to add to your menu and also for those that observe meatless Friday due to lent.
For 2016 my menu for the upcoming seven weeks of lent recipes will be comprised of the following tasty dishes:
- Black Bean Burgers garnished with fresh with Pico de Gallo
- Ugly Carrot and Turmeric Soup using those carrots that are not pretty yet are fresh and good for consumption.
- Chayote Cream Soup with cheese and roasted pepitas.
- Golden Lentils Soup with feta cheese and cashews.
- Mushroom Cream Soup served with cheese and crostini.
- Panzanella Salad with bagels and heirloom tomatoes.
- Yellow Tomato and Arugula Spaghetti.
Growing up at home in Mexico we observed lent every year and meatless Friday was a rule at home. In my style of cooking I embrace balanced nutrition and do like to include vegetables and fruits.
My Mexican cuisine also embraces the use of vegetables in many dishes, and we enjoy eating veggie soups. Year round mushrooms and carrots are available, those ingredients are inexpensive and we can use them for preparing comforting soups, essential when you are fasting. I also like to use products found in the supermarket for preparing easy and quick meals. For example, I recently found vegetarian black bean patties that are perfect for meatless burgers. And who doesn’t enjoy a nice salad with fresh tomatoes and a pasta dish.
I invite you to follow the 7 Weeks of Lent Recipes. Each week I will publish new meatless recipes, easy to make and very tasty.
Check out my fellow foodie bloggers and friends, they will be publishing yummy recipes for lent too!
- Silvia from Mamá Latina Tips
- Taty from Cool Moms Cool Tips
- Rocío from Your Sassy Self
- Enriqueta from Savoir Faire-The Pleasures of the Palate
- Stephanie from Spanglish Spoon
- Pilar from En mi Cocina Hoy
- Leslie from La Cocina de Leslie
- Clara from Aunt Clara’s Kitchen
- Shelby from OCMomBlog
- Patty from Living Mi Vida Loca
- Ellen from Confessions of an Overworked Mom
- Laura from Day by Day in Our World
- Cynthia from Kinda Silly Mommy
- Mari from Inspired by Familia
- Denise From Brazil to You
- Morena from Perú Delights
- Ericka from Nibbles and Feasts
- Jen from Skinned Knees
- Spicy Mango Pineapple Chutney Recipe - November 17, 2022
- Squash Blossom Quesadillas Recipe - November 10, 2022
- Juicy Veal Burgers Recipe - July 20, 2022
Thank yoy, Thank you Thank you for posting this. I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one out there doing this.
Some line up of food bloggers, and some delish platos you mentioned there! Babushka for one is grateful Lent comes around when the air gets a little nippy, just perfecto soup weather!! Not quite ready to go full veggie, but a couple of times a month would do a body good. Gracias for the recipes. BB2U
Growing up we observed Kent every year too. We didn’t eat meat on Fridays and still don’t in my home. I am missing my mami’s meals right now. Todas tus recetas se ven divinas!
That mushroom soup looks so yummy!
Todas se ven muy ricas!