This post is also available in: Español
This recipe for Sweet Potato Jalapeño Poppers is super easy to make and fabulous idea for a quick appetizer that will wow your guests.
Sweet Potato Jalapeño Poppers
- 5 in fresh jalapeños cuthalves
- 1 cup of spicy sweet potato hash made with soy chorizo onions and Mexican spices
- 1 cup of grated cheddar and jack cheeses mixed
- 1 oval roasting pan
- Prep the jalapeños cutting them in halves and removing the seeds and the vein for a milder flavor.
- Place in a roasting pan and stuff each jalapeño with spicy sweet potato hash. See recipe HERE.
- Cover the stuffed jalapeños with the grated cheese and cook in the oven for 15 minutes at a temperature of 375 degrees Fahrenheit or until cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately and pair with you favorite beer.
I really like traditional jalapeño poppers stuffed with cheddar or cream cheese but it is nice to have a change and include other flavors to make a traditional football recipe more interesting and offer something new to your guests.
And this recipe for sweet potato jalapeño poppers is a great addition to your party menu.
Unfortunately my team didn’t make it this year to the big game but that is not an excuse not to celebrate and eat yummy dishes, plus we love to party and cook delicious snacks like these sweet potato jalapeño poppers.
The sweetness of the sweet potatoes goes really well with smoky and spicy flavors of the soy chorizo and the spices. If you want to use traditional pork chorizo on this recipe you can do, the flavor profile will be almost the same.
Did you know that sweet potatoes are low in carbs, high in vitamins and minerals and designated to be a superfood. There are many varieties of sweet potato, with different colors, flavors and textures, you can also find them purple color.
I always look for small sweet potatoes to easily clean and chop. For this recipe I am also using jalapeños from my Mexican vegetable garden that still is producing peppers and eggplants despite the winter.
I have integrated sweet potatoes into many of my recipes and the sweet potato jalapeño poppers came about because I had some left over spicy sweet potatos hash I made for breakfast. You know, in my kitchen there’s never waste. I always use and repurpose any leftovers to create other delicious dishes.
So next time you prepare sweet potatoes think of preparing a double batch. And discover this tasty sweet potato jalapeño poppers recipe I am putting to your consideration for your appetizer menu.
Let the best flavor be the winner on your table!