This post is also available in: Español
Inspired on the apples a la mode recipe my mom was used to serve for us when kids I decided to make Poached Red Anjou Pears in Cinnamon Syrup, simple and humble yet cozy dessert perfect for the fall and winter seasons.
In my opinion pears are a wonderful fruit, they have floral scent and a mellow flavor and are humble yet elegant to finish a nice meal with a dessert that is very easy to make and somewhat unexpected too.
Poached Red Anjou Pears in Cinnamon Syrup
- 1 in red Anjou pears cuthalves pitted and cored
- 1 cup of turbinado sugar or sugar on the raw
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 cup of water
- Start by peeling the pears and cutting in halves. Using a melon baller remove the core where the seeds and with your hands remove the stem or leave if desired.
- In a medium size pan add the sugar, the cinnamon stick and the water.
- Then add the pears and cook at medium heat covered for 15 minutes.
- When ready serve on a nice plate and enjoy at room temperature.
- If desired you can serve with vanilla ice-cream or fresh whipped cream.
I love the simplicity of this treat since let’s the natural flavor of the pears shine and the warmth of the cinnamon combined with the turbinado sugar makes this Poached Red Anjou Pears in Cinnamon Syrup a delectable bite and appropriate for a fall or winter menu since pears are one of those fruits available this time of the year.
For this recipe I decided to use Red Anjou pears because they look gorgeous. This type of pears taste same as the regular Anjou yet have red color which is my favorite. These kind of pears are very sweet and juicy as well as easy to find.
For the holidays I like to poach fruits or make jams and sauces using seasonal fruits like pears, figs, cranberries and apples for canning. And then I include those goods in my holiday gourmet baskets that I give away every year for family members and special friends. Few years ago I made Vanilla Rum Pears using bosc pears and those were a hit with everyone in the family.
I know it is still early to talk about the holidays but when you start canning early makes the difference in the number of edible gourmet gifts you can make when you need a gift basket. Everyone loves something coming out of my home kitchen so I try to start right after Halloween to have enough time and also find a variety of fruits since I like to make baskets that are personalized based on the taste and preferences of each family member.
I hope you enjoy my recipe for Poached Red Anjou Pears in Cinnamon Syrup, this a good idea to include in your Thanksgiving menu. If you like Caramel Apples check out that recipe too it is easy and perfect for a special fall treat.
- Spicy Mango Pineapple Chutney Recipe - November 17, 2022
- Squash Blossom Quesadillas Recipe - November 10, 2022
- Juicy Veal Burgers Recipe - July 20, 2022
I haven’t been a huge pear eater. But these look good. Ill have to give it a try.
Que deliciosas peras, muchas gracias por la receta Yummy! 😉
Yummy! I think poached red anjou pears perfect for fall season, I love the smell of cinnamon too.
Mmmm, that does scream fall delicious to me. I love cinnamon and it would work magic with pears.
Me apasionan las peras, pero nunca las he probado de esta manera, voy a intentar tu receta. Gracias