Instant Pot Salsa Verde Pork Stew
This Salsa Verde Pork Stew stew is a homey dish full of flavor cooked in a roasted hatch chile tomatillo sauce and finished potatoes. A classic Mexican recipe from my great grandmother's recipe box.
- 1 pork loin 2 pounds cut into chunks
- 1 tablespoon of chicken bouillon
- 1 tablespoon of Mexican oregano
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 1 teaspoon of corn oil
- 4 cups of roasted hatch chile salsa verde
- 1 cup of water or chicken stock
- 10 boiled mini potatoes
Cut the pork loin and season it with chicken bouillon, Mexican oregano, and cumin.
In a skillet add some corn oil and sear the seasoned pork loin chunks until golden brown. This searing process allows for a better presentation and more flavor.
Add the seared pork loin chunks to the Instant Pot and pour four cups of roasted hatch chile salsa verde and one cup of water or chicken stock.
Close the Instant Pot making sure the valve is positioned correctly and choose the "Meat/Stew" cooking mode. It takes 35 minutes for the pork stew to be ready.
Meanwhile, peel and cook the potatoes on a separate pot with water. Add the boiled potatoes to the pork stew when ready.
- Cut the pork loin into big chunks as it tends the shrink while cooking on the pressure cooker.
- Searing the pork loin on a separate skillet adds flavor and allows for an even sauté. Searing can be done using the "Sauté" Instant Pot function if desired.
- This recipe is excellent for Instant Pot, but a classic stovetop pressure cooker is allowed.
- Avoid cooking the mini potatoes with the pork inside the Instant Pot as those need to be kept whole.
- If using a traditional pressure cooker cooking time will need to be adjusted to 50 - 60 minutes instead of 35 minutes in the Instant Pot.
Serving: 0gCarbohydrates: 0gProtein: 0gFat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gPolyunsaturated Fat: 0gMonounsaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 0mgPotassium: 0mgFiber: 0gSugar: 0gVitamin A: 0IUVitamin C: 0mgCalcium: 0mgIron: 0mg