Mexican Inspired Shepherd's Pie
Try our Mexican inspired Shepherd's Pie with Turkey Picadillo and yummy cheesy mashed potatoes; this is simple and so yummy! Ground turkey and potatoes are inexpensive ingredients that help to feed the whole family on a budget.
Rectangular baking pan
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 1/2 cup sweet peppers chopped
- 1/2 cup roasted green hatch chilies coudl replace with poblano peppers
- 1 cup roma tomatoes chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon
- 1 can seasoned tomato sauce 7 ounces
- 1/4 cup water if needed
- 1 pound mashed potatoes freshly made or premade
- 2 cups Mexican cheese blend shredded
Chop the produce, measure the ingredients and set aside. In a skillet add cooking oil and let it warm. When the oil is hot add the turkey meat in portions for easy cooking. Sautee the gorund meat for a few minutes and add the onion and the garlic.
Incporrate the chopped peppers, the roasted hatch chilies, and the fresh diced tomatoes. Add the seasonings and the chicken bouillon. Finally pour one can of seasned toamto sauce and let the picadillo simmer for a few minutes covered.
Spray nontick oil to a rectangular baking pan and scoop the picadillo. In a separate mixing bowl add the mashed potatoes and mix with one cup of the shredded cheese. Spoon the mashed potatoes over the meat and finish with another cup of shredded cheese.
Bake for 20-30 minuites at a 375 degrees Franeheit.
Tips for best results when cooking this casserole dish:
- Use any minced meat of your choice. Including turkey, beef, lamb, pork, or any vegetarian crumble of your choice.
- Prepare your own mashed potatoes or use a premade or frozen option.
- Use a variety of sweet and mild peppers. As well as fresh Roma tomatoes, chopped onions, and fresh garlic.
- Use Mexican spices such as cumin (seeds and/or powdered), smoked paprika, black pepper, thyme, and chicken bouillon.
- We recommend using a tomato puree with a jalapeno base for an authentic Mexican flavor.
- We like to use the shredded Mexican four-cheese mix that has Philapdeplia for a creamier result.
- Combine the mashed potatoes with the shredded cheese and finishing adding more cheese on top for a cheesier bite.
- Serve with agua fresca and a fresh salad.
Calories: 562kcalCarbohydrates: 74gProtein: 35gFat: 15gSaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 77mgSodium: 500mgPotassium: 1626mgFiber: 8gSugar: 11gVitamin A: 1637IUVitamin C: 94mgCalcium: 295mgIron: 3mg