Vegan Avocado Cauliflower Ceviche
Prepare the vegan avocado cauliflower ceviche, a vegetarian option for those looking for heart-healthy dishes to add to the weekly menu or for entertaining.
- 1 small cauliflower head cleaned and cut in small florets
- 4 Roma tomatoes diced
- 1/2 purple onion finely chopped
- 2 jalapenos chopped
- 1-2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 bunch cilantro chopped
- 2 limes juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt sea salt or pink himalayan
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 avocado with firm texture and cut in cubes
Prep the cauliflower by cleaning with running water and cut in small florets. Prep the rest of the ingredients by cleaning and chopping. Set all ingredients aside.
In a big bowl add the cauliflower, the garlic, and the lemon juice. Dress with olive oil and season with the spices and the salt.
Mix well and cover with plastic. Refrigerate for a few minutes to allow the cauliflower to simmer in the vinaigrette.
Take the bowl out of the refrigerator and add the onion, the jalapenos, and the tomato. Mix well. Add the cilantro and finish adding the avocado cubes. Stir and serve.
Tips for making the best cauliflower ceviche at home!
- Choose a small cauliflower head. Find one that is fresh and with no black markings.
- Remove the green leaves and the core. Cut the cauliflower in small pieces.
- If you prefer the cauliflower with a softer texture, blanch it before using it.
- For blanching the cauliflower add enough water to a pasta pot with a strainer and let it boil.
- Add the cauliflower florets and blanch for 5-7 minutes. Take it out and place it in a bowl with ice to stop the cooking process.
- Choose a firm avocado and do not slice or dice until ready to serve the ceviche.
- A firm avocado is the one that has a deep green color, and it is firm to the touch.
- Remove the little stem, and if the avocado has a bright green color is good to eat. If otherwise, the avocado looks brown, it is not good to use.
- If you prefer a less spicy ceviche, remove the vein and the seeds of the jalapeno before chopping.
- Olive oil is a heart-healthy option. When shopping for it, choose one with good quality, and that comes in a deep green, dark container.
Calories: 107kcalCarbohydrates: 8gProtein: 2gFat: 9gSaturated Fat: 1gSodium: 254mgPotassium: 363mgFiber: 3gSugar: 3gVitamin A: 323IUVitamin C: 42mgCalcium: 23mgIron: 1mg