Mexican Cheese Soup or Caldo de Queso
The Mexican cheese soup is comforting and a complete meal. It has diced potatoes and onions, corn, chopped garlic, chile pasado (or roasted poblano), warm milk, chicken bouillon, and cubed queso fresco. Make this recipe with Real California Milk queso fresco and crema Mexicana.
- 1 tablespoon corn oil
- 1/2 cup Vidalia onions one medium onion finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 4 cups white potatoes four medium-size potatoes peeled and cubed
- 3 yellow corn ears approximately 2 cups of fresh corn kernels
- 3 poblano peppers roasted, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon
- 8 cups Real California Milk or six cups of milk and two cups of chicken broth warmed
- 2 cups Real California Milk queso fresco cubed
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons corn starch diluted with water
- 1 cup Real California Milk crema Mexicana
- 1 cup Real CaliforniA Milk queso fresco crumbled
Add the cooking oil to the pan and let it warm. Add the onions and sauté.
Incorporate the garlic and the potatoes and let them cook for a few minutes.
Add the corn and the roasted poblano peppers. Season with chicken bouillon and pepper. You can add salt if needed.
Add warm milk and simmer the soup for a few minutes covered. The milk should be heated to avoid cutting and lumps.
Add corn starch diluted in water. This agent will thicken the soup for a velvety texture. Finally, add the queso fresco and serve.
The soup is garnished with ribbons of crema Mexicana, more crumbled queso fresco, and warm bread.
Have you tried this recipe? Snap a photo and tag us on Instagram and or Facebook using the handle @adrianasbestrecipes and this hashtag #ABRecipes Happy Eats!
Serving: 1gCalories: 417kcalCarbohydrates: 29gProtein: 20gFat: 25gSaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 72mgSodium: 200mgPotassium: 822mgFiber: 3gSugar: 16gVitamin A: 1062IUVitamin C: 46mgCalcium: 615mgIron: 3mg