This post is also available in: Español
A creamy chayote zucchini side inspired in mom’s original recipe is our suggestion for the weekly menu!
I grew up eating comforting side dishes that can be served as main dishes too. And this creamy chayote zucchini side dish is the perfect example. It could become a complete meal if served with a salad and a side of rice. Or could go along with grilled chicken or a bistec or thin steak.
My mom was used to make this recipe for us that is what inspired me to make it again for my family. However, I did a few changes to the original recipe. I have added chayote and roasted poblano peppers and a combination of cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese instead of asadero or Chihuahua cheese.
Asadero cheese is similar to Oaxaca cheese but has milkier flavor. Many suggest to use mozzarella instead of asadero, but that cheese isn’t as flavorful as the Mexican original cheese. It is difficult to find it in my area same as Chihuahua cheese which resembles a mild Manchego. Both are perfect for quesadillas. I have had some luck on Amazon though.
Family memories and farming.
My family is from Chihuahua, and one of my uncles had a milk farm. We were spoiled as we would get a supply of both
Make the Chayote Zucchini Side Dish
This recipe is very simple to make and it is ready in no time. Both the chayote and the zucchini cook fast and we like them al dente for a crunchy texture. Check all the details on the recipe card below.
Creamy Chayote Zucchini Side Dish
- 1 Vidalia onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 3 zucchinis cleaned and cubed
- 2 chayotes peeled and cubed
- 2 poblano peppers roasted, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups crema mexicana or creme fraiche
- 1 cup shredded cheddar and Monterey Jack cheeses
- Saute the onions and the garlic with some cooking oil. Add the poblano peppers, the chayotes, and the zucchini.
- Season with chicken bouillon and add some water. Cook covered for 10 minutes.
- Add the crema Mexicana or creme fraiche and combine. Add the shredded cheese and cover for 5-7 minutes.
- Serve hot and enjoy as a side dish or as a main meal.
Bon appetit, enjoy this easy side dish with your family and start using chayotes because those add fiber and texture to the meals. You can opt to try the creamy chayote soup too!