This post is also available in: Español
This recipe for the cheesy refried beans has been made in collaboration with IMUSA.
The cheesy refried beans with queso Oaxaca were a tradition at home. My mom was used to cook for us this delicious beans for dinner and served them with freshly made flour tortillas and hot chocolate. A wonderful dinner made with love. Cooking cheesy refried beans are a side dish that can never be missed. Especially now that fall is in full swing. This time of the year we crave comforting dishes to withstand the cold and bring some homemade flavors to our table.
Watch the video and see how simple it is to make the cheesy refried beans. My mom Rosita’s original recipe.
Cheesy Refried Beans
- 4 cups cooked pinto beans or bayo beans
- 1 teaspoon corn oil or pork lard
- 1 cup shredded Oaxaca cheese
- 10 flour tortillas or a bag of corn chips
- Place the IMUSA 4QT Deep Pan Jumbo Cooker in the stove and add the corn oil or pork lard if you want to add more flavor.
- Let the oil warm up and add the pinto beans. Mash the beans with the IMUSA masher until a bean puree is obtained.
- Add the Oaxaca cheese and cover with the lid. Turn off the heat and let the cheese melt.
- Warm the flour tortillas in the IMUSA comal and stuff with the cheesy refried beans.
- Fold the warm tortilla and serve with a side of salsa verde sauce.
- The cheesy refried beans can be served as dip paired with corn chips for a warm appetizer.
- Oaxaca cheese can be replaced with mozzarella cheese or white Monterrey Jack Cheese.
- The homemade pinto beans can be substituted with canned beans.
For this recipe for cheesy refried beans I am using pinto beans or bayos that I cooked in my grandmother’s pressure cooker. Nothing like making beans at home and having them available to pair our meals or to prepare simple but delicious snacks.
And now that so many celebrations are about to come, nothing better than having a recipe for refried beans with Oaxaca cheese that can be serve as a snack, at football matches, for Halloween night, on the day of the dead, or for a quick but tasty dinner with the family.
When cooking at home it is always good to have the right tools to achieve the best results. That’s why I recommend IMUSA products. As they are excellent quality and perfect to prepare our Latin cuisine favorite dishes. For the cheesy refried beans I am using three of my favorite IMUSA cooking gadgets:
IMUSA 4QT Deep Pan Jumbo Cooker. Made of aluminum and has a non-stick ceramic coating. Perfect to cook the refried beans with cheese and nothing will stick to the pan. The pan includes a glass lid with steam vent. The handles stay cool and are soft to the touch. This frying pan is very versatile, can be used to cook the famous chicken fricassee, paella, picadillo, or your favorite one pot pasta dish. Refried beans require a sturdy masher, and the IMUSA bean masher is of excellent quality and strong. Perfect to use for making mashed potatoes too. I am sure will last for a long time.
And the IMUSA comal to warm the tortillas. All kitchen must have a comalito because it is used not only to make or warm tortillas but it is used to roast the ingredients to make Mexican hot sauces that are a must have in the menu. Like the salsa verde sauce and the chile de arbol sauce. And now that you have all the details on how to cook and use this amazing IMUSA products, celebrate the fall preparing this yummy family recipes in your kitchen.
Do not forget to check the IMUSA products that are available on Amazon and in prestigious stores. I am leaving direct links to my favorite IMUSA products for you to check. Now is the best time to make the list Christmas gift list. Giving or receiving useful products is always an excellent idea.
Products from Amazon.com
- Price: $6.97Was: $9.31
- Price: $7.70Was: $7.89