This post is also available in: Español
Our Fourth of July menu includes Chicken Fajita Hot Dogs, made with smoked chicken sausage, red, green and yellow peppers, onions, serrano peppers for a spicy kick, sharp cheddar cheese and served on top sliced hot dog buns. The best thing of this recipe for the Chicken Fajita Hot Dogs is that is simple and uses ingredients I bought at the supermarket that are ready to use. And the cooking technique is grilling inside the oven and placing all ingredients on a sheet pan.
Watch the video to get the scoop on how we made this Chicken Fajita Hot Dogs in less than 20 minutes.
Chicken Fajita Hot Dogs for the Summer
- 2 packages cilantro lime chicken sausage
- 1 package sliced peppers and onions mix ready to use
- 2 serrano peppers clean, julienned and seeded
- 1 tablespoon Mexican oregano
- 1 bottle cooking spray
- 1 bag extra sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 12 top sliced hot dog buns.
- Prep the serrano peppers by removing the vein and the seeds and then julienne and set aside. Slice the chicken sausages too.
- Spray a sheet pan with oil and add the sliced chicken sausages and season with oregano. Set the oven to broil and cook for 3-5 minutes on both sides.
- Add the peppers and the onions on top of the cooked sausage and season with oregano. Then spray some oil and broil for 5-7 minutes until vegetables are roasted.
- Add the shredded sharp cheddar cheese and broil again until cheese has melted.
- Stuff the hot dogs buns with the chicken sausage fajita preparation and enjoy.
- The chicken cilantro lime sausages can be replaced with any sausage of your choice.
- This recipe goes well with Spanish chorizo or Portuguese sausage called linguisa. And even vegetarian or tofu based sausage.
This Chicken Fajita Hot Dogs can be enjoyed any day of the week as you can cook them in less than 20 minutes. For this recipe I am suggesting chicken sausage but you can use any sausage of your choice.
The idea behind this recipe for Chicken Fajita Hot Dogs is to merge the flavors of the traditional American cuisine with my own Mexican twist. Adding serrano peppers slices and Mexican oregano.
For serving you can offer yummy guacamole which pairs very good with the Chicken Fajita Hot Dogs and adds creaminess to the bite.
This recipe is fun and you can bring to a block party, very common during Fourth of July weekend as well as to a potluck with friends. Just bring some Corona beers, sodas, agua fresca and party is set to be a success.
For the party set up I am suggesting Fourth of July themed paper plates and napkins as well as a wooden tray to serve the Chicken Fajita Hot Dogs. You can also use banners, a fun centerpiece and flags to complement the festive decor.
Are you ready to tray this yummy Chicken Fajita Hot Dogs, they are so good!