This post is also available in: Español
A Kumquat Papaya Gooseberry Salad is my suggestion for Valentines Day celebrations. Usually during Valentines we offer desserts and sweet treats but my idea is to pamper my best friend and love of my life with a wholesome fresh salad that it is not only tasty but a good healthy option to continue with out balanced diet commitment for 2017.
This salad is made with fresh seasonal ingredients that are available this time of the year. Such as dwarf Hawaiian papaya, kumquats, gooseberries and field greens. Dressed with a honeycomb citrus salad dressing, fresh mint and sliced almonds.
Fruits like papaya are a very good option, as they have fiber to support the digestive system as well as other nutritional benefits.
Kumquat Papaya Gooseberry Salad
- 1 Hawaiian dwarf papaya cut in slices
- 8 gooseberries
- 6 kumquats
- 2 cups field greens
- 6 mint leaves cut in juliennes
- 2 teaspoons sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar or lime juice
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- 1 piece honeycomb chopped
- Clean and prep the fruit to make this Kumquat Papaya Gooseberry Salad.
- In a bowl add the field greens, then the papaya slices, the kumquats and the gooseberries.
- Prepare the citrus honeycomb dressing combining the orange juice with the rice vinegar and the honey with honeycomb. And whisk.
- Garnish the salad with fresh mint and almonds.
- Drizzle the salad with the citrus honeycomb dressing and enjoy
Papayas come an many different sizes and shapes but my favorite is the dwarf Hawaiian and the Maradol as those are sweet and tasty.
Kumquats are a small fruit that resembles a small orange. This fruit came from Asia and it is cultivated in Pasco county Florida. The harvest starts in October and ends in February and are easy to find in the supermarket. Kumquats are fragrant and eaten whole, including the peel and the pulp. The peel is pleasant to the taste and the flesh and juice are somewhat tart. Kumquats are a good source of vitamins A and C, phosphorus and potassium.
Gooseberries also called golden berries came from South America but are very popular in the Caribbean too. These are sweet and tart. If you love blueberries you will enjoy gooseberries too.
These fruits combined in a salad result in a feast of textures and flavors that are very enjoyable. The addition of the honeycomb dressing and the mint add a nice balance to the mix. Don’t be afraid of produce or to try something new you will be surprised how good this Kumquat Papaya Gooseberry Salad is.
Add to the Kumquat Papaya Gooseberry Salad a portion of grilled chicken for a complete meal. Celebrate this February 14th with a wholesome meal that introduces new flavors and ingredients to surprise that special person in your life.
Happy and wholesome Valentines Day!