This post is also available in: Español
This shop and the recipe for the Spicy Red Lentils Soup have been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #LiveForFlavor #VivaLaMorena #AddFlavor #CollectiveBias
The Spicy Red Lentils Soup is made with fresh tomatoes, La Morena® Whole Jalapeños , garlic, cumin, ginger, turmeric, vegetable broth, and Knorr® Tomato with Chicken Granulated Bouillon. This is the perfect dish for New Year’s menu. Because lentils have been known in many cultures to bring good luck when eaten in the first hours of the new year.
Some believe that eating a spoonful of lentils at midnight in New Year’s and putting some lentil seeds in a wallet, this will help with abundance and will bring economic prosperity.
We latinos have many traditions and rituals that we do on new year’s eve to set ourselves to have success and good omen for the new year. Included in this traditions is to eat 12 grapes, one per ring of the bell before midnight. This action symbolizes 12 resolutions for the months of the year ahead.
Spicy Red Lentils Soup
- 4 cups of red lentils rinsed with water
- 1/2 stick of butter can be replaced with ghee or olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 2 teaspoons of ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon of ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon of ground turmeric
- 1 La Morena® Whole Jalapeños 1 pepper chopped
- 2 tomatoes chopped
- 1 tablespoon of Knorr® Tomato with Chicken Granulated Bouillon - 2.2 lbs
- 4 cups of vegetable stock
- 2 cups of water
- 1 small bunch of cilantro for garnishing
- 1 cup of crème fraîche optional
- Rinse the red lentils with water and set aside. On a soup pan or a dutch oven and add the butter. Then sauté the spices and add the garlic and the tomatoes.
- Then add the chopped pickled jalapeños and the Knorr® Tomato with Chicken Granulated Bouillon - 2.2 lbs
- Add the rinsed red lentils and combine. Then finish with the vegetable stock and the water.
- Simmer the lentils for 20 minutes until tender and serve.
- You can garnish with cilantro, pickled carrots and crème fraîche.
Others wear red underwear for attracting love and others yellow panties to attract prosperity. Having luggage handy and carrying it around the house in the first hours of the new year attracts travel opportunities for those interested in visiting the world.
When planning a menu for a New Year’s party it is always nice to offer a hearty dish like this spicy red lentils soup, that not only serves to fulfill the tradition for a good omen, but complements the dinner as it is nutritious and appropriate for those observing a vegetarian diet.
Using ingredients such as La Morena® Whole Jalapeños and Knorr® Tomato with Chicken Granulated Bouillon not only provide great taste but both brands offer quality and great flavor that we can count on yesterday, today, tomorrow.
These products I always keep in my pantry as those allow me to bring back those flavors of home that I am always craving. Aside from the fact that I can depend on them when crafting delicious meals to bring the family and friends together this New Year’s Eve and yearlong. I always find my favorite Knorr® and La Morena® products at Walmart at Hispanic aisle.
Let’s LIVE FOR FLAVOR® this 2017!