- 1 pound of fresh pre-cooked deveined shrimp medium size
- 1 medium size purple onion chopped finely (to avoid crying put the onion in the freezer for 5 minutes that keeps juices locked)
- 1 garlic clove best to puree it (can use fresh garlic paste, you don’t want to garlic to show in this plate)
- 1 large beefsteak tomato chopped finely (1 ½ mediums if not find a big one. If you don’t like tomato you can skip).
- 1 fresh serrano chile chopped finely
- Cilantro rough chopped (add this before serving, cilantro tends to absorb liquid and lose freshness)
- 1 cup of lemon juice, 2 spoons of salad vinegar
- ½ cup of extra virgin olive oil
- Pinch of cumin
- Salt & pepper
Fresh hass avocado slices and florets of cilantro to decorate
Corn tortilla chips
Serves 5-8 people.
Approximate cost per person $3.00.
Put everything together in a crystal bowl (with the exception of the cilantro and the avocado), mix all together taste and condiment as necessary. Cover with plastic wrap refrigerate, let it sit for few hours.
This dish can be prepared the night before. The avocado for decorating use until it is time to serve and sprinkle with lemon drops to avoid quick browning.
Few things to consider when preparing this dish: Can use frozen precooked / deveined shrimp. If you use this kind defrost partially using cold running water, colder the better and the safest. Shrimp temperature is very important to avoid bacteria. When adding chiles to a recipe need to keep mind on how hot the taste will be to manage that take out the inside white vein and the seeds, those are the ones that provide the level of heat in a chile. Use gloves while doing this otherwise you will get itch in your fingers. If accidentally the vein came in contact with your fingers soak them in milk that will stop the itch.
Shrimp ceviche tastes absolutely delicious, sounds not that easy to prepare but it is not, you will hit a home run, I’m sure!
This dish is great for parties as a finger food or to start a meal looking fancy.
This post is also available in: Spanish